1.04.2010

bonne année: welcome to the future


so, it would be fitting that i should start back up with this writing/sketching business with the coming of the new year, right?

a bit cliché, but i realize that i need to hold onto something solid because i've come to realize that everything i've tried to hold on to thus far has been fleeting.
all i have is myself and what i can produce and share with the world.
so, that's what i'm going to do.
i'm going to share.

...so, i begin this post with this little thing called hope.
it's still little and fragile at the moment.
resembles something between a glass seahorse and white, overly fluffy hummingbird.
needs some nurturing and unconditional love...
in time, it'll make for a consistently reliable companion.

hope.

...and in the spirit of hope, i will now indulge in a list of resolutions that i might break before i even finish writing them.

i will...
  • learn to develop my own black and white film
  • rehaul my website
  • work on my portraiture - i think i've had enough of objects for a little while
  • seriously work on my illustration portfolio
  • have a solo show at an art gallery
  • actually work on the children's book i've been writing up
  • quit...well, cut down on...no, no...quit...i'll quit smoking
  • make a genuine effort to grow my hair
  • write more (i will, dear readers!)
  • submit writing to the new yorker
  • not allow myself to be bitter for more than a few hours at a time
  • try to exercise
  • dress nicely
  • sleep more
  • get back to reading at least 1 novel a month
  • cook more
  • go out more
  • smile more
  • figure out what i really want to do with my life
  • not be afraid
big plans, dear readers...big plans!

i'm going to do my best to not be utterly cynical this year...
i'm going to catapult myself into the future.
now's a better time than any, right?
right.

so, here we go.
let's see if i can get through this checklist without faltering too much.

No comments: