2.01.2010

give & take


ok.
so, remember that resolution list i made a while back?
well, get this. i was actually able to strike one off the list! now, it looks something like this:

  • learn to develop my own black and white film (i need a film scanner!)
  • rehaul my website
  • work on my portraiture - i think i've had enough of objects for a little while (i took a few photos the other day...not sure if i'm getting exactly what i want here.)
  • seriously work on my illustration portfolio (i drew something a few weeks ago and hated it.)
  • have a solo show at an art gallery
  • actually work on the children's book i've been writing up
  • quit...well, cut down on...no, no...quit...i'll quit smoking
  • make a genuine effort to grow my hair (my hair has become excessively floppy...i think i'll have a pageboy in a couple of months...right now, i look like a foppish mod kid.)
  • write more (i will, dear readers!)
  • submit writing to the new yorker
  • not allow myself to be bitter for more than a few hours at a time
  • try to exercise (i totally worked out yesterday)
  • dress nicely (i got a leather jacket...does that count?)
  • sleep more
  • get back to reading at least 1 novel a month
  • cook more
  • go out more
  • smile more
  • figure out what i really want to do with my life
  • not be afraid
that's right! i've managed to finally work on my website...and that's what i did...all weekend, aside from some welcome respites in the form of caffeine and motivational conversation with liam.
i haven't worked like that in a long time, but it's inspired me to re-do my portfolio as well because...well, to be honest, i kind of dislike my portfolio at this point (nope, you can't see it anymore. i took the old site down.)

so, after coming to what seems like a mood/theme/style that i'm comfortable with...now i just have to push forward with it.

along with this comes having to learn to develop my own black & white film...which is part of step two. oh, so many things to do...it's all very exciting and scary at the same time, but it's starting to feel right. i can't just sit at home and do nothing anymore.

perhaps it means that spring fast approaches.
i hope so.

what else?
a chunk of one of my molars cracked off...
and my dentist is on vacation.

yeah. that happened around the time where i was thinking today wasn't a bad day at all and that i couldn't wait to go home and work on some illustrations and photographs.

we'll see what happens with that.

...

and in closing, i'd like to leave you with this.

i find it incredibly satisfying when i'm refilling a stapler and i successfully pull an entire bar of staples out of the box without it breaking.
it's the simple things, right?

(sorry, no photo/drawing today. fail whale.)
...ok. maybe just one.


No comments: