10.09.2009

sketchlessly bi-coastal


ok. i know. i haven't sketched in a while.
things've been busy...but let me explain...
i'm in la.
i don't have a scanner.
by the time i return, i may have some drawings...
in the meantime, let's talk about air travel...

so, inevitably, every time i get on a domestic flight to anywhere (in this case, la) i will always have this magical notion (i have a lot of those...notions, that is) that i will have a super easy time falling asleep...and then the ride will be over in no time.

this explains why i almost always schedule myself on red eye flights.

where this thought process comes from is beyond me, my dears.
i have yet to get a really decent amount of sleep on any domestic flight.

and you know the worst part?
i always get really drowsy RIGHT before take-off.

i'm sitting at my window seat, diligently reading my book and periodically staring out at the tarmac and gigantic plane wing. the plane begins to tax ever so slowly as the pilot's voice comes over the speaker system to inform of us the "slight delay".

so, the plane languidly rolls around like a leisurely shopper not really in any particular rush to find a parking spot at a mall...
very suddenly, my book starts to tumble forward and i realize that i'm exhausted from my day. my head begins to bob. i gently rest my book in my lap and turn my heavy-lidded eyes towards the window. yellow lights flashing and passing by...

and just as i've really started to go, i feel the engines kick into high gear and my eyes pop open. my body wants to sleep, but my grain desperately wants me to watch the plane ascend as it's something i rarely get to see...which is absolutely true. there are few things...few occurrences in this life that can truly make the nj turnpike look breathtaking. flying out of newark airport at night just happens to be one of those rare occasions.

my heart begins to flutter. the pressure on my chest increases as the plane pushes forward ever faster.

i feel myself smiling...smiling at the fact that i'm en route to see my paramour. smiling at the awesomeness of witnessing an oversized soda can filled with people take flight. just smiling. downright giddy.

i'm sure i creeped out the girl sitting next to me...

and then?

NO sleep...just my book and i. i push through 8- pages and munch on the delectably questionable cheese, rice wrap thing we were rationed (hey, it was warm and i was hungry, OK?) and a few baby carrots.

...30 more pages and a million watch checks that only solidify my theory that time spent on planes is something like:

y = (x * 3) * z

y = time on planes
x = time on the ground
z = how many babies are sitting near you (in my case, there were 5...5, people!!!)
(ergo, in my case...1 hour of ground time equated to 15 hours of plane time...in my head...a 6 hour flight would end up feeling like 90 hours)

...where was i?
right...after all that i began nodding off again...so, i tried to seize the opportunity like a dog witnessing a meat truck accident and whipped out my shawl, ipod and jacket (conveniently balled up to substitute a pillow as the flight attendants were all brought up in NOES prefecture where you don't do nice things like bring people pillows or offer for that matter...EVEN THOUGH THAT'S YOUR JOB...anyway).

i turned out the light and curled up...music softly rocking me to sleep...if by rocking to sleep i mean accompanying me while i close my eyes, still completely conscious and stare at the insides of my eyelids. awesome...NOES. not awesome.

we've all had that, right?
where, in your head, you're saying to yourself, "hey, i'm SOOOOO asleep right now! OMG, i've never been so asleep in my life!"
...but the reality is that your eyes are just closed. you're not at rest...you're just pretending.

this went on for quite some time, much to my chagrin...and, in the end, i didn't get any sleep. i wrote this blasted blog post instead...

...man, and why do babies just LOVE crying when everyone (me) is trying to sleep?!

No comments: